Thursday, September 13, 2007

Emili Morera

I had an excellent day out yesterday at Burton Agnes Hall in East Yorkshire (well worth a visit if you're interested in gardens and/or stately homes. The lack of stuffiness in comparison to other historic houses is refreshing.)

Anyway, there were three paintings which quite intrigued me and I took a note of the artist's name, Emili Morera, to do some checking later on.

All the paintings were heavily three-dimensional, with found objects embedded into them. The first had a detail of old stonework which formed a column of a ruined building. The second was a ruined venetian blind, half-opened. The top, closed section was a real venetian blind and where the bottom had fallen away and parts broken this was represented by paint. The third was a more abstract piece, showing a large frame around a landscape beyond. It put me in mind of early Netherlandish art, first in illuminated manuscripts and then in the sixteenth century when they created larger paintings with fake framing techniques, using trompe l'oeil effects.

They were all very striking indeed. There is some very fine art in the collection, including Manet, Gauguin, Pissaro and others, but these really stood out for me.

The trouble is, I can't trace the artist at all. I'm sure I've remembered the name - I wanted to know more about this artist = more + RA. But I've googled and can't find anything. If anyone knows who I am talking about and can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

No comments: