Monday, February 18, 2008

Straightforward facts

Came across this quote in Conrad's Heart of darkness:

For a time I would feel I belonged still to a world of straightforward facts; but the feeling would not last long.
This rather put me in mind of Barthelme from An Indian Uprising:
"Some people," Miss R. said, "run to conceits or wisdom but I hold to the hard, brown, nutlike word. I might point out that there is enough aesthetic excitement here to satisfy anyone but a damned fool."

It's an idea that is interesting me at present. I'm not sure where I'm going with this line of thought, but it is definitely working itself into something in my head. In the disconnected world I feel we all belong to, there is the certainty of fact but, as we understand more as a society, facts blur, become less tangible, less convincing. And modern culture, as I have discussed on this blog elsewhere, is anyway eschewing fact or knowledge or certainty for feeling and emotion and empathy. There is increasingly no nutlike word, no straightforward fact. Where does this leave us?

No comments: