Friday, July 25, 2008

In the mood for writing?

I've had a truly shit week at work, one of the worst I can ever remember, one of those 'time to take stock and think about options' sort of weeks. Ghastly.

And yet. In terms of writing I've been very productive. I've knocked out a 12,000 word story in the past four days. Not only that, it's the big story for my project, the one I've been putting off and putting off since January 2007 and have built a bit of a phobia about. And it works. Not perfect, but it's good, certainly good enough for a first draft.

It's odd. If you were to ask me if I could write in those sorts of circumstances I'd have said no. I don't go a bundle on confrontation, try to avoid it, and yet this week I've had it in spades, and yet I've been more creative than I would have thought possible. There was violence in the story, and I suppose I was channeling my anger into that. It gave me an outlet.

Interesting how circumstances and moods can affect writing.

1 comment:

Jim Murdoch said...

I gave up years ago trying to find a correlation between mood and productivity. There is no logic to it. None whatsoever. I wrote my first novel in the midst of a major depression - and it was funny too. Just be grateful when it's working and make the most of the moment.