Friday, July 11, 2008

Jack Radio



This has been my home for the last four days. And very nice it was too.

Okay, to recap. I have this project floating around in my brain (now officially titled Jack Radio)[edit: that's the project, not my brain, that's titled Jack Radio...] and I've been struggling to get it started so I decamped to a caravan on the Yorkshire coast for four days to write, write, write. That was the theory. So did it work?

First night wasn't so good. The intention was to do a Children in Need night type of thing, where I use a set of prompts every hour and in that hour write a story based on the prompts. I intended doing up to 10 of these. Result: one. Hmmm.

But after that dodgy start it got much better. The final tally was 30,400 words, some of them quite good, even though I say so myself. There are two main stories, one about 9k and the other 8k. These are long by my standards: I seldom go above 3k. They didn't quite go the way I expected, which is perfect. As I've said before, one of my concerns has been that this project is fairly well plotted by my standards (I'm not a plotter, I just sit down and write and see what comes out.) So I'm happy that these stories went off on their own tangent, because I feel it has brought some of the spontaneity I was looking forward.

So that's the good news. A definite success. Trouble is, I reckon I still have another 70k words to go. This is going to be longer than I realised. But never mind, Jack Radio is now in progress...

2 comments:

Camping Resorts Yorkshire said...

If you have more information related to this topic Caravan North Yorkshire and Caravan Yorkshire Coast so provide it because i read your data it is helpful for us to improve our knowledge.

Tom Conoboy said...

It's somewhat weird being spammed by someone in India, apparently on behalf of the caravan industry in Yorkshire...

If this is what Caravan Norh Yorkshire and Caravan Yorkshire Coast have contracted with to boost their customer intelligence data, they're wasting their money...