Friday, August 15, 2008

Hammershoi



Off this weekend to the Hammershoi exhibition at the Royal Academy, which I'm really looking forward to. He was Danish, and although it's a bit of a nationalistic cliche, there is definitely something Scandinavian about his work, the solitude and the silence of it. It puts me in mind of late Hopper - all those empty rooms and windows out into a world that's carrying on regardless. Space, and what is happening in that space. By coincidence, the story I'm writing at the moment, a long one, around 12k, I think, is focused almost entirely on the space around the story, what's happening because it isn't happening, what's said by not being said. Disconnection again, since all my stories are about that. And that is very much the mood I get from these Hammershoi paintings, and I expect (hope) that seeing them in the flesh will amplify that.

2 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

I'm jealous. I only discovered him following a recent BBC documentary and I've had one of his paintings on my desktop ever since. I love Hopper but this guy is in a class of his own.

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Visited this exhibition recently early one morning, had it to myself almost, for an hour or so. I loved it. The layers, the loneliness, the shapes. And behind it all, the man who broke with tradition in the face of advice to paint 'recognizable' work.

Its sad that the guy has to be dead before he is feted like this.

Hope you enjoyed the exhibition half as much as I did.