Thursday, February 11, 2010

Swoopers or bashers?

Kurt Vonnegut, from Timequake:

Tellers of stories with ink on paper, not that they matter anymore, hve been either swoopers or bashers. Swoopers write a story quickly, higgledy-piggledy, crinkum-crankum, any which way. Then they go over it again painstakingly, fixing everything that is just plain awful or doesn’t work. Basher go one sentence at a time, getting it exactly right before they go on to the next one. When they’re done they’re done.

I am a basher. Most men are bashers, and most women are swoopers. Somebody should look into this. It may be that wriers of either sex are born to be swoopers or bashers.

Okay, let's look into it. There are a few writers who frequent this blog, so are you a. male or female; and b. a swooper or a basher?

I'm corresponding to Vonnegut's stereotype: I'm definitely a swooper.

4 comments:

Donigan Merritt said...

I am such a basher that there ought to be a superseding category for it. And I'm of the male persuasion.

courtmerrigan said...

Like Donigan, I'm of the male persuasion, and I am absolutely a swooper.

Tom Conoboy said...

So two following type so far, and one against.

When I was very young I was a basher. I wrote and rewrote and rewrote the same damned story for months. It was about a boy seeing a pig's head in a butcher's window (no debt to Lord of the Flies, then...) and absolutely nothing happened. It put me off writing for years...

Vanessa Gebbie said...

I'm a female swooper with an overlay of increasing basher tendencies. maybe I'm changing sex?