Wednesday, June 02, 2010

The Book of Eli


The Book of Eli is a dystopian film set some time in the near future, after an apocalypse. It came out at pretty much the same time as the film version of The Road and, in Eli, even has a character with (almost) the same name as a major character in The Road, Ely played by Robert Duvall. So I reckoned I ought to watch it at some stage.

I am very grateful that I managed to watch it on the plane over to America, when I was a captive audience with nothing else to do anyway. That way, I have managed to see it without otherwise wasting two hours of my life. What a load of utter nonsense. It's just one preposterous fight scene after another - Denzil Washington takes on ten guys at once, then twenty guys at once, yawn, yawn, yawn. Disgracefully, it wastes two brilliant actors in Frances de la Tour and Michael Gambon, whose over the top, gurning performances are little short of embarrassing. And the nonsensical, creaky religious theme that underlies it all works totally at odds with the action that surrounds it. I don't see many films, and if this is an example of what passes for moviemaking in Hollywood today, I'm pretty glad I don't.

1 comment:

boxofficegirl said...

Just read the Cathedral post and I agree, the idea of the trees descending from a single source is a very heart warming notion. Lovely pictures of the woodlands too Tom.