Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Don DeLillo wins PEN/Saul Bellow award

And you can't argue with that, I don't suppose.

I still need to get hold of Point Omega, and I got a second hand copy of Americana the other day, which is now near the top of my 'to read' list. (Next up, after Vonnegut, which I'm reading now, is JM Coetzee's The Master of Petersburg. The Brothers Karamazov is my earphone listening while walking to and from work at the moment (coutresy of Librivox), so Coetzee's fictionalised account of Dostoevsky should be fascinating. The life of one author I don't like (but have to admire) written by another author I don't like (but have to admire).

2 comments:

Mark Perkins said...

Sigh. I really don't understand. DeLillo has some brilliant moments, but then so does Kanye West. And I lose sight of his brilliance amidst a sea of melodrama and outdated ruminations on all things sub-.

Tom Conoboy said...

Yes, I do know what you mean. I feel that way about Paul Auster. There is a tricksiness about DeLillo, but I think he just about gets away with it, where Auster doesn't quite.