Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Best of Beryl


Tonight, Man Booker will award the Best of Beryl award for the best of the five novels that Beryl Bainbridge had nominated for the Booker Prize. To the competition's shame, she never won it. In either an act of atonement or a shameless marketing gimmick, they are selecting from her five nominations for a special award to mark the oeuvre of this singularly English writer.

Actually, I think it would be much more funny if, say, Margaret Drabble won it and poor old Beryl came second again. I think that would have made her roar with laughter too...

If I had to choose, it'd be The Bottle Factory Outing, though I think An Awfully Big Adventure will win.

Update: Master Georgie wins. It was beaten in the original Booker by McEwan's Amsterdam, so I am fairly happy with that. It's a better book than Amsterdam.

No comments: