Thursday, January 31, 2013

50,000 words

You may have noticed I haven't been posting many full length book reviews lately. I'm hard at work on my final PhD thesis at present, and haven't time for any other reading.

Good news is that I'm now more than 50,000 words in.

Bad news is I still have about 70,000 words still to write. And a strict 100,000 word limit. I have to say, however hard it is to "kill your babies" in fiction, it's much, much harder in criticism. Ironic really, since I'm writing about Cormac McCarthy, and he kills babies in most of his novels...

Anyway, two chapters complete, one nearly complete, two done in skeleton and the most enjoyable chapter waiting to be started on. September isn't that far away....

4 comments:

Christopher Ryan said...

What's the premise/focus?

Tom Conoboy said...

Cormac McCarthy and the cities of God, Man and the Plain.

It's looking at McCarthy's preoccupations with mythology, religion, evil and free will. It's a broadly critical account of the increasingly social reactionary nature of his writing.

Christopher Ryan said...

I don't know what part he plays (meaning what he has to say) in this film, but it sounds like something you need to see:

http://www.openculture.com/2013/02/ithe_unbelieversi_a_new_film_starring_richard_dawkins_lawrence_krauss_werner_herzog_woody_allen_cormac_mccarthy.html

Tom Conoboy said...

Thanks very much for this. It looks absolutely fascinating. McCarthy has a tortured relationship with religion, for sure, but I can't see how you could describe him as an atheist, so I'll be really interested to hear his perspective.

thanks again