Sunday, September 22, 2013

Glasgow School of Art

When I was Glasgow last week I took advantage to have a tour round the Glasgow School of Art, and in particular the library. The building was designed by Charles Rennies Mackintosh and is a wonder.

Many years ago, back when I was a librarian, I actually worked there. I was only a kid, nineteen or twenty, and I had no idea how important the place was, or how lucky I was to be able to work there. The Library service had hundreds of slides of Mackintosh pieces and places which had no details on them, and my job was to try to identify them, using Bilcliffe's book on Mackintosh. It was a great job. I used to sit at the big desk you can see in the picture, with the Bilcliffe book propped up, going through the slides and trying to figure out what they were. Seeing at again last week brought back a lot of memories.

No comments: