Friday, October 11, 2013

Alice Munro

Alice Munro has won the Nobel Prize for Literature. I have to say I'm very pleased about this. As a Cormac McCarthy scholar, I'm aware that every year our man is in the running for the award and never gets it. I suspect it will be a long time before an American does, to be honest, and if it was going to happen it would probably have been this year, when Philip Roth has intimated that he is drawing his career to an end. That would have been a suitable point for the award of the Nobel.

And this, of course, is what has happened with Alice Munro, who has also announced her retirement from writing. She is a worthy winner, a very fine writer indeed. What I am particularly pleased about, since I'm a short story writer myself, is that a writer who is primarily known for her short fiction has won. Too often short stories are the poor relation of the novel, and I don't understand why. There is a purity about the short story that is very difficult to achieve and very satisfying to read.

Congratulations to Alice Munro.

No comments: