Thursday, October 17, 2013

Inner City, City Lights

This is Inner City, City Lights, by the Esbjorn Svensson Trio. I first heard this in March, flying to the US and loved it. I'm not a great flier and am usually a bit tense, and I found this piece to be quite tense too, and so it seemed to fit my mood perfectly.

I bought it when I got home but haven't played it too often. I remember one occasion, though, when I wasn't in a good mood, quite angry in fact, and this time the piece felt angry and brooding.

Today I was walking to work. It was a beautiful morning, lovely crisp sunshine, and I was in a very happy mood. Instead of playing a talking book, as I usually do, I wanted to listen to music and this came on. This time, the piece felt happy and hopeful.

This is a Zelig-like piece of music. It seems to meld itself to the mood you are in and reflect it back at you. It's wonderful.

No comments: