Thursday, January 29, 2015

First draft complete

Thanks to the delights of on-demand printing, for £5 I've just ordered a printed copy of the first draft of my novel for correcting. It's cheaper than I could get it printed at home...

So. It's been a busy month. Since 2nd January, I've written 51,221 words of the novel, plus 4656 words of other material, plus comprehensive re-writing of 16,000 words of existing material.

The first draft weighs in at 71,500 words. I expect the second draft will go up to around the 100,000 word mark and the third version will slim back down to around 90,000 words. I've had these ideas, and various versions of bits of them, in my head for the past nine years, but it is remarkable how they've solidified in the past two months when I've written the vast bulk of the 71,500 words. I can look at the characters in the early exchanges and see that they've totally shifted by the end. I now know they wouldn't act in those ways or say those things.

3 comments:

Jim H. said...

Congrats. All writers know exactly where you're coming from.

Porter Perkins said...

Tom,

Haven't commented here in years--and was never that regular anyway--but stumbled back across an old reference. Glad to see you're writing. I teach a seminar on post-apocalyptic fiction in which I have the students write their own post-apoc short stories, and as part of that a couple years ago I wrote my own. I've been very slowly working to turn that into a novel myself. Very slowly :)

Tom Conoboy said...

Thanks both.

Porter, great to hear from you after all this time. We had some interesting discussions, I recall. Keep working on that novel...